Monday, November 22, 2010

Bittersweet Charity

I was sitting in my room, doing practically nothing when I heard Abbey, who's bedroom is right next to mine, whispering on the phone.

I must be strong.
Last time I got curious, I ended up spying on our neighbors and passing out.

"But mom!" I heard her whisper-yell.

This is getting GOOD. I thought to myself.

I couldn't take it much longer, I crept over to my wall and placed my ear on it to hear better.

"Hon, everyone back here in Massachusetts misses you! At least come home for the holidays and see if you'll want to move back here!" Her mother pleaded on speaker.

There was a pause, Abbey seemed to be deep in thought.

"......Fine, but what do I tell my sisters? and What do I tell Melanie? OH MY GOD, what do I tell Pru?" Abbey's voice sounded sorry for the rest of us.

"Pumpkin, if they really love you, they will let you come home with your family." Mrs. Holland re-assured.

"Well, yeah, but why did I get sent to American Girl in the first place?" Abbey questioned.

"Because, dear, your father and I were going through a phase where we fought ALL of the time, and we didn't want our 10-year-old daughter being in the middle of it." Her mom explained.

"Are things settled between you and daddy now?" Abbey wanted to know.

"Yes, and we would just love for you to come back home! I know you love being with Melanie and all her girls, but we are your family. You need us as much as we need you, and that is quite a lot."

"Fine, I will fly home on the day we get out of school for Holiday Break,
December 14th" Abbey planned.

"Okay Hun, your daddy and I will be waiting at the airport with someone very special." I could hear Abbey's mom smiling.

"LULU!" Abbey's pet bunny was named Lulu, and Melanie didn't want her to bring her along because Jess is allergic to bunnies, so I could tell Abbey was excited to see not only her family, but her bunny again.

"I love you, Abigail Lynne Holland" Mrs. Holland said.
"I love you too, mom" Abbey replied then they hung up.

I ran out of my room and knocked on Abbey's door.

"What?" Abbey called out.
"It's Chrissa, open up!" I replied.
She opened the door "Hey Chris, what's up?
"WHY ARE YOU LEAVING US?!" I yelled.
"H-h-how do you know?" Abbey's top lip began to quiver as she questioned me.
"I kinda heard you and your mom's conversation." I confessed.
"CHRISSA!" She yelled.
"Hey, I was curious and apparently for a good reason." I took a step in her room and shut the door.
"Now spill." I said.

"Well, in March my mom called me and asked me if I wanted to go home, I said 'yes' because I was, at the time, mad at Melanie for getting Molly instead of Prudence. I have taken that back, but my mom simply will NOT let it go. Now I am kind of on-the-fence about this whole situation. Do you have any advice?" She asked.

I shook my head, but asked.
"What will Melanie do? She loves you!" I exclaimed.

"Well, family comes first." Abbey began
"WE ARE YOUR FAMILY!" I interjected, she was getting on my nerves.

"But Chrissa, I will visit!" She offered.

"It won't be the same! Who will take your place?" I demanded

"Charity."


<3Chrissa

1 comment:

  1. aww I feel so bad for your Family and Melanie! I cant believe this is happening! I wonder who this Charity Chick is.....

    ~Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete